Saturday, July 18, 2009

World Games Update

Last night I raced in my first race at the World Games and my first race since my accident in Heerde. It was the 10km points elimination race and I ended up finishing third. It started raining half way through the race and it was not called off by the officials so the track was very slippery. The winner Hyo Sook Woo and second place getter Marta Ramirez ended up breaking away when the rain started and gaining a lot of points. I was basically left solo at the front of the dwindled pack trying to chase them down and only caught Marta with a few laps to go.


This morning the 1000 meter heats took place inbetween the showers of rain. In the second heat of the ladies it started to rain with a few laps to go and skaters were slipping all over the track. It wasn't until Angeline Thomas from Australia crashed that they finally decided to call off the race. After the rain stopped the third heat started, which I was in and with two laps to go it started to rain again. The officials didn't call off the race and it was very slippery. When qualifying involves times this effects the outcome of the race. The officials didn't want to re run the heat until they spook to the corner referee's who agreed the skaters were slipping and had to slow down which affected the overall time. Once the track was dry the two heats were both re run and I ended up finishing second in the heat but was the fastest qualifier to go through to the semi finals.

The mens heat were then run and nearly immediately after the ladies semi's started. I won my semi final and am through to the final tonight along with Huang Yu Ting (Chinese Taipei and winner of the 300m Time Trial), Marta Ramirez (Colombia), Chiao Jen Hsu (Chinese Taipei and second in the 300m Time Trial), Jin Seon LimChiao (Korea and third in the 300m time trial) and Brigyte Mendez (Colombia).

Tonight the 1000 m final starts at 6pm and then I also have the 15 km elimination race at 7.20pm.

No comments: