Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Grenade

Last weekend I raced in Grenade, France about 2 1/2 hours from Bordeaux. This race meet was part of the French National Qualification. Racing was held around a 400 meter road circuit with tight corners and very long straights.

On Saturday the rain just wouldn't go away. It would rain then stop and just before the track was dry it would rain again, so most of the racing was held in wet or partly wet conditions. The first round of the 500 meters was held in the wet and three from each heat went through to the next round. For the semifinals the track was half dry and half wet and because there were two foreigners eight skaters qualified for the final. For the final all the skaters stepped up to the line and just before the gun went the officials called off the race. The track was deemed too wet to race on and then it started to pour down with rain again. The 500 meter final was held on Sunday morning with not a rain cloud in sight. I won, 2nd was Sara Bak and 3rd Pauline Jegouic.

The 10km points race was held Saturday night in wet conditions and a cool 6 degrees. I won a few early points and then broke away and Laetitia Lebihan came with me. We both ended up lapping the pack and I went on to win the race, Laetitia 2nd and Lucie Peruzzetto 3rd.


The 200 meter time trial was on Sunday morning before the 500 meter final. To be in contention for the overall title you had to start all the races. I stepped onto the start line even though I wasn't highly motivated, the 200 meter time trial is an event I'm not fond of. I ended up coming 4th, 1st was Sophie Beaujot, 2nd Ophelie Carrerr and 3rd Aude Sohier.

The last race was the 10km Elimination which was held at around 3pm on Sunday. It came down to a sprint finish at the end with all 5 skaters still together and I went on to win, Laetitia 2nd and Justine Halbout came in for 3rd.

I won the overall title, 2nd was Lucie Peruzzetto and 3rd Pauline Jegouic.

No comments: