Saturday, March 28, 2009

I've Finally Made it to Bordeaux

Last night I arrived in Paris after a 12 hour flight from Hong Kong. I stayed the night in Paris and caught a train this morning to Bordeaux. The train journey was supposed to take around 3 1/2 hours but ended up turning into a long 6 hour journey. All was fine until about 30 minutes out from Bordeaux when the train suddenly came to a stop in the middle of nowhere due to an electrical malfunction. All the announcements where being made in French and no one seemed to be able to speak enough English to tell me what was going on. An hour and a half later everyone started moving towards the front of the train so I just followed along like a sheep. We then all had to walk about 1km along the track to the next little railway station. It's ok having a 30 kg bag when you can drag it along behind you on wheels but that doesn't work going over loose stones. About 30 minutes later a train came to pick up all the stranded passengers and I finally made it to Bordeaux.

I am staying at Le Creps Aquitaine in Bordeaux which is the Ministry of Youth and Sports Institution. There are great sporting facilities at this complex including a road circuit, indoor 100 meter flat track and gym facilities. There is also a bank track about 20 to 30 minutes away. Quiet a few of the French National Team skaters are based here and I will be training with them for the next month.

Tomorrow morning I am going with the group of skaters from Bordeaux to a race meet in France. I'm not sure where it is but it's about 3 hours away. I'm rather tired from the travel, lugging my bags around, lack of sleep and delays but hopefully after a good nights sleep I will feel more energized tomorrow when I step on the start line.

No comments: