Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Injury Update

It's been just over seven and a half weeks since my accident in Heerde, Holland. I started skating again about 4 weeks ago and easing my way into it. Now I'm fully back training on my skates and not having to wear the brace at all. So things are definitely improving.

I have been on the medication for the thrombosis now for 7 weeks and I was hoping that once the clot went then I would be able to stop the medication and be able to race again. Yesterday I saw a doctor that deals with sports medicine and also thrombosis and was not given clearance to race this weekend in St Moritz or any races before the World Games. The good news is the ultrasound showed no sign of the clot so the medication is working and the clot has gone. But I cannot come off of the medication just yet because if their was a recurrence their is a risk of it going to my lungs. I can however stop the medication about a week out from the World Games, so I will be able to race without the risk of bleeding heavily if I was to fall.

After seeing the doctor at Diepoldsau which is about 1 hour from Weinfelden I then drove 30 min to St Gallen for physio and stabilization therapy. My ankle was massaged and it was amazing to see how much more range of motion I had after the treatment. I also worked with a trainer doing various exercises to help stabilize my ankle.


Each day things are improving and looking better, it's just something that takes time. Although it's frustrating not being able to race I'm still able to train for the World Games and World Championships and as they say it's not over until the fat lady sings.

No comments: