Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Benchmark Homes Bike Race

It wasn't a very nice day for the Benchmark bike race on Sunday, the clouds brought rain, rain and more rain. The tour attracted the biggest field so far in the history of the tour with over 120 riders competing. With narrow country roads and oncoming traffic it was mayhem in the bunch at the start until the pace picked up.
Starting near the back of the field I didn't see the first and second placed women the whole race as they started at the front surrounded by their team. A lot of the female riders that race the whole series and are in contention for the overall title have a team of male riders helping and protecting them throughout the race.
I was in contention for third place but had to pull out of the race with around 27km to go due to my cap falling off my front tooth. With the nerve exposed I tried to ride on but with the cold wind rushing in every time I opened my mouth and unable to take on fluids I had to pull out. I originally chipped my tooth in 2002 at the Junior World Championships in Belgium during the elimination race on the track and it's still causing problems 5 years on.

Overall apart from having to pull out I am pretty pleased with how the race went. It was my first big bike race against top female riders and it showed that with a few more miles on the bike and a bit more bike race experience I could be right up there.

My tooth now has a new cap on it and hopefully it doesn't cause any more problems.

No comments: