Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Progress

It's been just over three weeks since my accident in Heerde and I'm not back on my skates yet but I am making progress and my foot is getting better. I have to wear the brace for another week but I can actually stand and walk on my foot now without the brace on and without any pain. The brace has been a lifesaver as I've been able to fit it into my cycling and running shoes so that means I've been able to train. My foot is still quiet swollen around the ankle and is lacking a normal range of movement at this stage.

I will not be able to race until I am off the medication for the thrombosis and today just confirmed that it's not worth the risk. I was peeling a mango when the peeler slipped and I just nipped the end of my finger. It was hardly even a cut but it bleed and bleed. I put a plaster around it and quiet a bit of pressure so that was at 12.30pm. I changed the plaster just before 5pm and as soon as I took the plaster off it started bleeding again. That was a big wake up call, I was warned by the doctors about bleeding but didn't think a tiny little cut could bleed for that long. So that put an end to any idea of racing before coming off of the medication, it's just too big a risk with very bad consequences if something was to go wrong.

In about three and a half weeks I will get another ultra sound to see if the thrombosis has gone. If it has then I will be able to come off of the medication, I don't want to even think of the "if not" because I think it's going to be good news.

No comments: