Friday, May 16, 2008

Back in the Pack

I was back in Luzern at the hospital yesterday for another check up. The two wires holding my mouth together were cut and replaced by rubber bands. The bands are tight and there are quiet a few so there is a lot of resistance if I try open my mouth, so still no solid food. These bands are going to be on for two weeks and then another x-ray will be taken to see were we will go from there. I am hoping that x-ray in two weeks time shows that it is fully healed because I am getting frustrated. It's frustrating not being able to eat, I have gone nearly two weeks on liquids and knowing that I have to do it for at least another two is hard. I have found liquids, purees and baby products that are high in energy, protein and carbohydrates but just drinking all the time is simply horrible.

The doctor did confirm that I was able to race the World Inline Cup this Sunday in Wolvega, Holland. I will take the bands off for the race so I am able to open my mouth and get more oxygen and then I will replace the bands immediately after the race. I will still be unable to fully open my mouth but it will be better than the situation I am in at the moment. The stitches were taken out of my chin at the same time and it is looking great. The doctor in Sursee that stitched my chin up done a good job and I shouldn't be left with a scar. Cecilia has also had her stitches removed and has been getting treatment for her strained muscle, she is doing well and back skating.

I haven't missed out on too much training and last night I actually skated in a group for the first time since the fall in Sursee. The other skating I have done has been alone or a couple of meters off the back of the pack just to minimize the risk of someone clipping my skates. So last night it felt great just to be back in the pack and in the draft.

Back in the pack
Photo - Niki Neck


I'm recovering but it's just frustrating and there is not a lot I can do to speed up the process apart from listen to the doctors and be patient. I'm feeling much better this week than last week and a hundred times better than the week before that. The painkillers have gone and the skates are now back on.

No comments: