Friday, May 16, 2008

Skate Podium

If you are able to read Dutch there is an article "Wereldtopper met gebroken kaak ann start" on Skate Podium. The article talks about my crash in Sursee, goals and this weekends World Inline Cup race in Wolvega, Holland.

Here is the information in English that the article was based off of:

Do you think you're fit enough to start in Wolvega this weekend?

Yes, for sure I will race this weekend in Wolvega. My jaw has not fully healed but the doctor has confirmed that it is ok for me to race this weekend.

Have you raced before in the Netherlands?
No I have never been to Holland before. I have heard a lot about the style of racing in Holland and the tough conditions. I have always wanted to race in Holland but have never been able to fit it into the schedule.

You had a good start in Zug, what about Sursee?
The team had a near perfect start to the season in Zug, we placed 1st, 2nd, 5th and 11th. The race in Sursee didn't turn out as planned as two of us crashed early on in the race and had quiet serious injuries. But we all managed to finish and salvage team points and Cecilia was able to get 3rd and retain the lead in the World Inline Cup.

What are you expecting in Wolvega, Do you like that the World Cup is in Holland?
I have heard that it is going to be a tough course with cobble stones and a lot of wind so this is what I'm expecting at this stage. I think a World Cup race in Holland is great because it may bring out a different style of racing in the womens pack.

What's you're goal for Wolvega?
Of course we would like someone from the team to win the race. When the team and an individual from the team is leading the World Inline Cup you have to set high goals.

Who's you're biggest competitor for Wolvega?
There are a lot of strong teams this year so we will be watching everyone. Rollerblade performed last week, Alessi are always a threat, Matter have had top placings, the Colombians are strong and of course the locals

How is it going with you're recovering?
It's really frustrating because I am unable to eat solid food. Everything I consume is slurped through a straw so it's very limiting. It just takes time to heal and there is not a lot I can do to speed up the process so I just have to be patient. My split chin has healed really well and the stitches are out and the hematoma on my leg has been getting treatment and has also healed.

How did it happen?
It happened about 10km into the race (WIC Sursee). The pack was going down a slight hill into a tight corner. I was positioned behind Alexandra and Cecilia was behind me. Whilst going into the corner someone came up the inside and tried to get between Cecilia and myself taking my skates out from under me. Because I could not see what was happening I did not anticipate the crash and had no time to land on my hands. My chin hit the ground first taking all the impact and therefor breaking my jaw.

You where 18th in Sursee, how can you skate with a broken jaw? Wasn't that very painful?
Yes it was quiet painful, but I think I can tolerate pain reasonably well. It never once crossed my mind to stop and pull out of the race. I knew I was going to finish the race just not too sure on how good the placing would be. My left leg was probably the most painful part of my body at that stage so when I could I rolled on one leg to relieve the pressure. There was blood everywhere from my split chin and because I was unable to see how bad it was it was quiet concerning.

What are you're goals for this season?
To be part of the number one team overall in the World Inline Cup. To have someone from the team win the overall and I would like to be in the top three. Of course another World Title would be nice.

What do you remember from the crash in Sursee?
I remember hitting the ground so hard with my chin and thinking oh **** there go my teeth, as I have chipped two teeth in a crash before. I got up as fast as I could and started skating to catch up to the pack. The next thing I done was check to make sure my teeth were all there, which they were. When I opened my mouth I knew pretty much straight away that I would need x-rays on my jaw and something was wrong.

You come from New Zealand and now you live in Switzerland? Can you tell some more about that?
I spend half my year in Switzerland and half in New Zealand. It is great for training because I never have a full winter. I live in Timaru, New Zealand for the off season and am based in Weinfelden, Switzerland for the skating season but I still call New Zealand home.

No comments: